Send via SMS

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Job Search part II

Yes, I'm late in getting this done. I've been busy, okay?
Thursday, I had an interview with EEI out in their Silver Spring office at 9am. Very early day. But on the plus side, I think it went well. I took the Copy Editing exam, too. I feel ok about it. I know I probably made a few mistakes somewhere, though.

Friday I drove back to New Jersey and spent the weekend with Jess' family. no trouble finding the house, but there was the hour of my life I lost when I stopped for gas. Apparently, somebody decided those five minutes were the perfect time to have an accident and block the only way back to I-95. On the plus side, I did give a dollar to some kids wandering around at traffic lights collecting for a local animal shelter.

SUnday, came back to school. Monday. class and work for Francesca. I agreed to go in again on Friday, but I should call and try to reschedule, since that's the day Jess and I go to the Humane Society. Maybe I can just come in next Monday instead.

Have an Art History paper due Thursday that I need to research and write. Tomorrow. Should have started it over the break, but really--who thought I actually would?

SO... yeah. Busy, busy busy. Comp due two weeks from Friday.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Job Hunt: Episode 1

So... I've actually acomplished things while here in Fairfax. I've made some calls, and that's good. Was downtown all day today. Had an interview with a friend of my mom's who works for Conservation International. They don't realluy have any openings right now, but you never know. And she made some suggestions of other laces to look, and other things i can do to make myself more hirable.

THen I spent essentially the rest of the day with my frind Taryn--whom I hadn't seen since High School, and only recently got in contact with again through the magic of Facebook--and we had lunch at the old NAtional Post Office from this Indian Food place that was there. mmm... Indian food. THat took us back. Then we went to the Dada show at the National Gallery of Art, then spent the rest of the day wandering aroung the museum and just looking at stuff. FUn times.

Oh, and I was able to get together with Katie Buoni last night to just kinda hang out. HAppy about that, too.

I've got an interview tommorrow morning at 9am in SIlver Spring--hello Metro at 7:45!--with EEI, an editorial temp firm that my mother did some work with back when we first moved to Fairfax. Well, not so much an interview, but kinda. I'll meet their HR guy 'cause he's out there right now, and take the proficiency test to see if I'm even qualified to work for them. Fingers crossed!

Monday, March 20, 2006

Spring Break

Am in Fairfax now, staying with Adam until Friday, when I will head back to New Jersey to spend a couple days with Jess' family, then go back to school. Had a good time with them this weekend, but driving here yesterday was a pain. I95 is a mess, and I ended up paying nearly $12 in tolls. Stopped to see Grandma yesterday, which was nice. Had lunch and played Scrabble. I won, but then I got all the high scoring tiles, which helps.
HAve an interview set up for Wed with a friend of my mother's who works for Conservation International, and will make some calls here shortly to other people about setting up interviews.
Will probably go see the Dada show at the National Gallery, too and try to see some of my friends while I'm here.
And somewhere between all this, work on my comp.
"Break", yeah, right.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Bad Week

The last week's just been super busy.

First, the College Bowl. Not as great as I had hoped. Allegheny came in dead last i our division with a 1-7 record. At least we didn't lose every game. What dissapoints me most is my own performance. I could have done so much better than I did. I knew stuff, but I was just nervous, so I'd buzz and then say it before being recognized, which lost us points.
Also, the office of Student Activities messed a bunch of stuff up. THey were late getting everything prepared to begin with, then we got to the hotel and found that we had rooms for one night, not two. We decided to get the one room left for the next night. There was no way we were going to try driving six hours at nine p.m. on Saturday. But then, oh, then... we find out the school's credit card was overdrawn and could only cover one room Friday night! All I can say is I had better get that check soon to cover gas, food, and stuff.
So anyway, it was all a big hassle, and I can't help thinking it wasn't worth the stress of driving there and back.

Then on Monday, I worked for Francesca until 7:30 (an hour and a half later than usual), to help make up for the day I missed about a month agho. Went in Tuesday from 3:30-7:30 for the same reason. Got a lot accomplished, but it ate into my time.

Wednesday, I drove way out into Ohio starting around 2:00 with Jess to take a dog to her new home. I'm happy about it, really. She's a sweet dog, and seems to be getting along with her new family. It's just been a lot of driving this week, is all.

And somewhere between all this, I managed to get poems written for my comp, too. Still not sure how, exactly, but I did. Will meet with BAkken tomorrow to discuss them. Can't forget to do that like I did the last time. I felt really stupid then and sent him an apologetic e-mail.

So, for this week: discuss poems with BAkken
write paper for ES class, due Friday
more comp work
find a time to get up to Erie. Haven't seen Nana and Pop-Pop in a while
look into jobs at NAtional Park Service that mom e-mailed me about
all this in addition to the stuff I usually do like reading for class, working for Francesca on Monday, and comp work (yes, I know that's on the list. I need to step it up and write more than usual).