Re: Wierd JS problem

Your table is mal-formed, at least to JavaScript's eyes.  Among other fixes
try adding a <BR> after the  Read This Topic: button. This forces a new
line, so Netscape doesn't have to guess here. That will help Netscape format
the table. You can probably also do things with COLSPAN and ROWSPAN; either
method assists Netscape in parsing the table.

-- Gordon
http://gmccomb.com/javascript/

At 12:48 PM 3/22/96 -0800, you wrote:
>Here is an interesting JS problem. The code below does not work unless the
indicated
>line is removed. As far as I can tell, the indicated line should not have any
>influence on the script.
>Specifically: click the "Read this topic" button and JS returns "SubTopics
has no
>properties." Remove the indicated line and it runs just fine. But this line
should not
>matter at all.
>
>I'm sure I can work around it but I don't understand it. If nobody can find
a problem
>with it, I would be interested in seeing if it occurs on all platforms. I'm
running NT
>and will check 95 and 3.11 but if anybody could check Mac and UNIX it might be
>interesting.
>
>By the way, I know this isn't exactly a model of HTML or Javascript, it was
just a
>quick hack to test the concept.
>
><HTML>
><SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT">
>        function newtopic(form) {
>        var id = form.SubTopicID.options[form.SubTopicID.selectedIndex].value
>                alert("ID="+id)
>                parent.CurrentTopicID=id
>parent.window.SUBTOPICS.location.href="http://199.182.27.50/cgi-shl/dbml.ex
e?Template=
>SubTopics.dbm&TopicID="+id
>        }
>        function dummy() {
>                alert("Dummy Function")
>        }
></SCRIPT>
>
><HEAD>
>
><TITLE>Untitled</TITLE>
>
><META NAME="GENERATOR" CONTENT="Internet Assistant for Microsoft Word 2.0z
Beta">
></HEAD>
>
><BODY>
><P>
><TABLE BORDER=1 CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADING=0>
><TR>
>        <TD>
>        <FORM NAME="SubTop">
>                <CENTER><INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE="Read This Topic:"
>onClick="newtopic(this.form)">
>                <SELECT NAME="SubTopicID">
>
>                                <OPTION VALUE="1">Ford
>                                <OPTION VALUE="2">Masserati
>                                <OPTION VALUE="3">BMW
>                                <OPTION VALUE="4">Catapiller
>                </SELECT>
>                </CENTER>
>        </TD>
>        <TD><INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE="Create new topic"
onClick="dummy()"></TD>