opening a program

hey all, I know this is slightly off topic, but haven't gotten an answer to this
any where else:

On our intranet we would like to launch a program from a link in netscape.
Problem is it's just a plain old program not a viewer or helper.  In other words,
I know how to do this for say a sound file or picture, but in this case all I
want to do is start the program.  I.E. click here to start XYZ program and the
program will launch when this link is clicked.  I feel certain this can't be done
from JAVASCRIPT, but any help would be appreciated!

ed