Re: What's New

Olaf Walkowiak wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> for everyone who is interested in automatically display a Whatsnew Page
> dependent on the Users last Visit, I set up a very simple demo at:
> http://www-stud.uni-essen.de/~si0015/whatsnew/
>
> Have a look and - improve the code :-)
>
> Gordon McComb wrote:
> >
> > You put the date of the visit as the cookie value.  You then compare the
> > time between the visit and the current date.  The result is a number, in
_____
> Olaf Walkowiak, Suedeseestr.14, D-45145 Essen, Phone:+49-201-604594
> si0015@aixrs1.hrz.uni-essen.de                  OlafWal@aol.com
> URL:http://www.bikeconn.de/com/bikeconn/hotel/olaf      (Homepage)
> URL:http://www.bikeconn.de/com/bikeconn/hotel/olaf/java (JavaScript)

There seems to be a thread about how to display different info
based on the users last visit. It might have already been
suggested, so excuse me if this is redundant, but one thing that
occured to me is that this is probably better handled on the
server side for the following reasons:
1. The server side is more powerful, you can access DBs and such
2. handling it on the client side is likely to require going
back to the server to get new pages anyway. why not cut out the
extra connection

It seems like this should be pretty easy - just make the default
document a cgi script that checks the cookie and decides what to
send back.