Communicating between windows...

I have a JS that opens a window, as in:

     win = window.open(.....).

The opened window's <body> tag includes an onUnload clause.  If the user closes
the second window from the user interface, I want the onUnload clause to report
back to the originating window that the second window has closed.  I cannot
figure out a way to do that.  There does not seem to be a way for the second
window to refer back to a method in the original window, for example to invoke a
function in the original window.

Anyone have any ideas how to accomplish this?  (I've considered using cookies
but it seems like such a hack to do that.)

Bill