Re: Document updates cause delayed crash?

Hopefully you won't get two of my messages.  I just typed something that
made Eudora drop the message I was writing to you!

Anyway, as far as I know (and from the comments by Brendan Eich,
JavaScript's developer), document.clear does nothing.  You might as well
take it out of your code.

As for testing if a document has been closed: I don't think there is an
explicit test for this, but it can be done implicitly.  You know Netscape
hasn't finished loading the page until the onLoad event has fired.  You can
use that to set a variable or run a function.  It is a problem when content
in one frame references another frame that hasn't loaded yet. Again, this is
where frame syncrhonization can come in.  When this is a problem, you can
set up tests in the links frame to ignore events until the whole frameset
has been loaded -- or at least the frame you want to reference has been
loaded.  One way is to check of the frame exists, which you can do with
parent.framename == null.  If the result is true, then you know the frame
doesn't exists yet.

Another way is to set a variable in the frameset document when the frameset
is loaded (onLoad=... in the <FRAMESET> tag).  You can then reference that
variable from your frames to determine when it's save to proceed.

If you are writing content to your frames using JavaScript, the onLoad event
is never fired, even if you use the document.close method for that frame.
I'm unsure how to time things for JS-generated content, except maybe for
some hacks like inserting a hidden form element at the end and testing for
its existence.  There's probably a better way, but....  (hummmm).

-- Gordon
http://gmccomb.com/javascript/