Re: document.location problem

On Tue, 12 Mar 1996, Gordon McComb wrote:

> >Crashed hard on a 040 Mac...twice. But, I had repeated success with
> >the following in getNext():
> >
> >parent.frames[1].location.assign(parent.frames[1].document.links[--i].href);
>
> Assign, eh?  Very interesting.  Glad it works.
>
> -- Gordon

Well, on closer inspection, it works...and it doesn't work.
It seems to always work for me on a 68040...on the first try.
If the target page is in the cache, you have a greater chance
of bombing out of Netscape on subsequent clicks...5th click is
a charm :) (on the bright side, it is not really a locking bomb,
just an "unexpected quit", type 1 :?)

For that matter, the following other methods had the same relative success
for me:
       var i=parent.frames[1].document.links.length;
       var refstr="";
       //just to make the typecasting explicit:
       refstr+=parent.frames[1].document.links[--i].href;
       parent.frames[1].location.assign(refstr);

and

       parent.frames[1].location.href=parent.frames[1].document.links[--i].href;

similarly

       var refstr=""
       refstr+=parent.frames[1].document.links[--i].href
       parent.frames[1].location.href=refstr;

So, go figure.

If you expire the link immediately, in the options menu, the assign()
seems to work, and work. Perhaps the others will too...

Regarding to assign() or not to assign(), I did not catch a reference
by Mr. Eich about it; more to the point, I guess, I do not know
the name. Regardless, I would not have recommended using assign
had I known Netscape (assume Eich=Netscape) discouraged it.

Who is he? Is he among us? ... if we build a really nice script, will
he come? :)

JP

Jon Gorrono (Gorroño)            1400-M Surge II
New Media Programmer/Analyst            UC Davis
Creative Communication Services         Davis, CA   95616
A Division of Information Technology    (916)752-0218;FAX-4655
University of California at Davis       jpgorrono@ucdavis.edu
Owner:Digital Video Discussion List	DIGVID-L@UCDAVIS.EDU

"Dogs are insecure and neurotic and agitated, and generally in
 the throes of some unbecoming emotion,
 and I like them." - Adair Lara