Re: document.location problem

I saved the message in hard copy, but some time ago integerated into my
notes and it's long gone.  But I do remember it.  He said that assign and
toString are generic, and using them haphazardly can lead to problems.  He
did say "stop using location.assign..." and pointed out that you can use
location just by itself (assign was used this way in early docs, as you'll
recall).  Still, I wonder if it's not needed here for the "fix."

The weird thing is, I can't reproduce the bug on my Mac, either.  So I
wonder if there's something else wrong with the original code.  Very strange
indeed.

-- Gordon

At 07:36 PM 3/12/96 -0500, you wrote:
>>parent.frames[1].location.assign(parent.frames[1].document.links[--i].href);
>
>I think that Brendan Eich advised a while back *AGAINST* using the assing()
>method of location.  He was actually pretty specific about it, even
>threatened to take it out of the next release at one point.
>
>Does anybody (Gordon <g>) remember why he said this?  I think it had
>something to do with the fact that it was unnecassary.  *at the time*, I
>think that these were equivalent:
>
>location = 'foo.html'
>location.assign('bar.html')
>
>so the *need* to use assign() was never there.
>
>Somebody tell me I'm wrong, this is all I remember on the topic.  I guess
>when we figure it out I'll add it to the FAQ.
>
>-Andy Augustine

-- Gordon
http://gmccomb.com/javascript/