Re: Closing mulitple windows

Devon Lazarus wrote:

> Pat McCarty wrote:
>
> >I am creating online help which, when loaded, opens a
> >new window without toolbars, menubar, etc., and then destroys the main
> >NS window beneath it.
>
> i have been experimenting with this and have stumbled upon some problems
> that you may or may not have experienced. first, the history array is
> destroyed the minute you window.close() the original window. how do your
> users get back to the page that refereed them to it? second, destroying the
> toolbars, directory buttons, and location also destroys the menubar on PCs
> and UNIX boxes. how then do your clients reload, open a new url etc.
> serious navigation problems are arising. i have of course given in to the
> idea that i have to create a javascript-based navigation interface but i am
> wondering if anyone else has other solutions for this problem.

1) You could leave the original open - See Gamelan @ http://www.gamelan.com

0r

2) Have a nav bar on your pages that has the navigation built in with a exit
button that gives you your browser back.

or my favorite

3) A whole separate (small) window that has the navigation and updates the
main window.

These are the only ways I can think of unless you can grab thier history
information (JS can do this I believe) before you close the main window and
store in some place like a cookie (limit of 20 values).  Then you can grab
that info later with JS.  If anyone has figured this out - please post.

Lance D. Braud
lbraud@advtel.net