Password values

I have been havig trouble accessing the value field of a password object.
The page prompts the user to create a password, and asks him to enter it
twice. It then compares them to make sure that he entered the password the
same way in both fields. The code is below:

function check() {
        if ( document.register.pass.value !=
document.register.password.pass2.value ) {
                alert("Your passwords don't match");
                document.register.pass.value = "";
                document.register.pass2.value = "";
        }
}

I know that the script is executed, but for some reason I can not get the
comparision to work. I even switched the code around to say if value ==
value do nothing, else display alert, and that did not work. Any ideas?

----
Luke Cassady-Dorion
Odyssey Systems Corporation
luke@iliad.com