Re: Password values

On Sat, 17 Feb 1996, Luke Cassady-Dorion wrote:

> I have been havig trouble accessing the value field of a password object.
> The page prompts the user to create a password, and asks him to enter it
> twice. It then compares them to make sure that he entered the password the
> same way in both fields. The code is below:
[code deleted]

It's not you - it's JavaScript.  The function you described was my first
attempt at JavaScript, and I was going nuts trying to figure out why it
disn't work.  Turns out that Netscape has decided, for security reasons,
to not allow work to be done with the value of a password field.  It's a
pain, but it's something we're going to have to live with, for now at least.

[This seems to be a FAQ - maybe we should have an entry for it?  If
nothing else, it'll explain to people why they can't do something that
would seem to be intuitive.]

David Belson					       BBN Planet Corporation
Solutions Engineer			    150 CambridgePark Drive, MS 20/6B
dbelson@bbnplanet.com					  Cambridge, MA 02140
Phone: (617) 873-3947					  Fax: (617) 873-5124
http://web.bbnplanet.com/~dbelson/		    http://www.bbnplanet.com/