Re: opening a program

On Fri, 22 Mar 1996 12:22:00 -0500, you wrote:

>On our intranet we would like to launch a program from a link in netscape.
>Problem is it's just a plain old program not a viewer or helper.  In other words,
>I know how to do this for say a sound file or picture, but in this case all I
>want to do is start the program.  I.E. click here to start XYZ program and the
>program will launch when this link is clicked.  I feel certain this can't be done
>from JAVASCRIPT, but any help would be appreciated!

Ok, the easy way...
In Netscape, set up your own MIME type...

Options/General/HelperApps

Lets assume Wordperfect for now...

Mime Type: application
SubType: WordPerfect
Extension: .wp
Set Open App:  wordperfect.exe <G>

With a link to any file with extension .wp,
wordperfect will open.  Now you will need to
actually link to sucha  file, whether you use it
or not.  Netscape needs to see the transfer in
order to launch the associated app.

Thats all there is to it...