Re: opening a program

Ed Kloskowski wrote:

> hey all, I know this is slightly off topic, but haven't gotten an answer to this
> any where else:
>
> On our intranet we would like to launch a program from a link in netscape.
> Problem is it's just a plain old program not a viewer or helper.  In other words,
> I know how to do this for say a sound file or picture, but in this case all I
> want to do is start the program.  I.E. click here to start XYZ program and the
> program will launch when this link is clicked.  I feel certain this can't be done
> from JAVASCRIPT, but any help would be appreciated!
>
> ed

unless your program follows the Netscape Plugin format, there is no way
you can do this. Period!

The only kind of "programs" that can be launched (on the Client side) are
Netscape plug ins with the <EMBED> tag. So say you built a small Windows
program in ... hummm... suppose Visual Basic, there is absolutly no way
you can launch that program from within Netscape.

What I suggest is that you get the Netscape format for their plug-ins.

I Don't remember the exact URL for all the info, but it has something to
do with their "Developers program". Take a look over at Netscape's page
at:

http://www.netscape.com

and try to find out anything about their "Developer's program".

The only other solution I can figure out, is to but a special file on
your server (say a data file) with the extension .xyz and associate this
extension in Netscape in the helpers

ie: .xyz --> programx.exe

Then in your program, just ignore any DDE when starting up!
--

Christian Lanctot
e-mail: kristian@generation.net