Further questions about cookies

One further question on the subject of cookies.  Is the
cookie associated with the document which currently has the
focus, or is the cookie associated with the Javascript
virtual machine.

I ask this question because the Netscape documentation it
open to interpertation.  First the cookie is

document.cookie

but the documentation goes on to say that servers should
only expect the client to store 300 cookies and a max of
4k of data.

Tests I have done in regards to this seem to indicate that
although all the other document.xxx items are unique to each
individual document, the cookie is generic to the Javascript
virtual machine.

Better and wiser heads, please correct this as required.
Anyone with good additional documentation of cookies could
rack up some serious brownie points with me by posting a
URL of where to go.
http://www.hidaho.com/cookies/cookie.txt
has some very useful cookie functions.

regards