JS in tables?

I was trying to implement the SNARK web search JS in one of my pages
which uses tables (such that the script was initially located within
one of the tables), but I discovered that NS (SunOS, 2.0) would try
to render the text of the script first, then place the necessary
script info, which of course was unacceptable.  Is this a known
problem with NS, Tables, and JS?

Also, after the above, I moved the main part of the script to
the <head> of the document, and only called SNARK's DisplayForm()
within the table.  However, the JS no longer seems to work right;
instead of going to the page of the appropriate engine, the SNARK
returns the URL of my page, along with the appropriately formated
search string for the intended engine.  What am I doing wrong here?

TIA...

----
 Michael K. Neylon, Graduate Student           | "Pausing only to reconstruct
 Dept. of ChE, Univ. of Michigan               |   the whole of integral
 mneylon@engin.umich.edu                       |   mathematics, he continues
 http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~mneylon/ |   on..."   Marvin - tHGttG