Status Banner

I am a bit of a novice (less than 24 hours) at JavaScript but I am curious
why scripts to write text to the Status bar were many lines long when a
function such as my banner() below will do the trick in 3 lines.

Am I missing something obvious that means I will be asking for trouble later?

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!-- Beginning of JavaScript Applet -------------------

var Text = "...Visit the Toc H Home Pages @ http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/dave/TOC_H/index.html.....";;
var Speed=100

function banner() {
var TimerId
	window.status=Text;
        Text = Text.substring (1, Text.length) + Text.substring (0, 1)
	TimerId = setTimeout("banner()", Speed);
}

// -- End of JavaScript code -------------- -->
</SCRIPT>

--
 Nick Howden    Phone:  +44 1684 895566      Nick.Howden@rivers.dra.hmg.gb
    N-137, D R A, St Andrews Road, Great Malvern, WR14 3PS, England, UK