Re: Using button events to jump to a new web page

At 5:03 AM 1/4/96, Lewis Sellers wrote:
>At 10:11 AM 1/2/96 -0500, you wrote:
>>To start with, I want to script a button to "onClick", go to
>>a particular URL.  I can't seem to do this -- none of the netscape
>>examples are a help. The method window.open gets close to
>>what I want to do, but I want to go to the URL using the currently
>>open window, not in a new window. I don't know the name of the
>>default netscape window in any event.

I _think_ that what you want to do is something like

<form action="dummy.cgi">
<input type="button" name="foo" value="Click to FOO"
       onClick="window.location='http://www.foo.com/bar.html'">
</form>

This puts up a button by itself, such that clicking on the button goes to a
new page corresponding to the specified URL; it's thus analogous to
clicking on a link, except that it's a button, and you don't need any
server-side CGI to make it work.  (The action="dummy.cgi" is never used, as
the button is of type "button" rather than "submit".)

You could also have the URL be specified on the fly, either as a JavaScript
variable previously set:

var foovar = "http://www.foo.com/page"; + i + ".html";
<form action="dummy.cgi">
<input type="button" name="foo" value="Click to FOO"
       onClick="window.location=foovar">
</form>

or as the result of a JavaScript function:

function foofun() {
  return "http://www.foo.com/page"; + i + ".html"
}
<form action="dummy.cgi">
<input type="button" name="foo" value="Click to FOO"
       onClick="window.location=foofun()">
</form>

Hope this helps.

Frank

--
Frank Hecker          Pre-sales tech support, Netscape field sales group
hecker@netscape.com   http://home.netscape.com/people/hecker/index.html