Using button events to jump to a new web page

I am new to javascript, and this ought to be easy, but so far I am
stumped.

I am using javascript to simulate an eventual CGI that will consult
some persistent store on a server. For now, I want to hardwire
some URL page references into my javascript scripts.

To start with, I want to script a button to "onClick", go to
a particular URL.  I can't seem to do this -- none of the netscape
examples are a help. The method window.open gets close to
what I want to do, but I want to go to the URL using the currently
open window, not in a new window. I don't know the name of the
default netscape window in any event.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim