Pink Cog

RIP Dudley aka The Dude aka Sir Dudley Underfoot :(

Update - 2016-10-13

The Dude is no more. On Christmas Eve 2014, he started coughing up blood. Within days he was barely moving, eating, or drinking. He was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer, which was a complete shock. Somehow he had hidden any trace of it - we were running 5 miles a couple times a week, still making it out for the occasional bike ride, etc. So on New Year's Eve, we took him to my parents house, and one of his favorite vet techs came over to euthanize him.

The Great Jessiwah was the first, but in many ways Dudley was my true spirit animal. He joined me on so many adventures, got what I wanted with just a look, and was always up for some fun. He attended rallies on the National Mall, hiked most of the trails within a 100 mile radius, accompanied me on mountain bike rides anywhere from 5-19 miles, got skunked in a rather spectacular manner, and was there when my daughter was born. I will miss him forever.

A Little Background

From the moment I found out the Jessie was sick, I knew that I would eventually get another dog. Not until after she was gone, and there would probably be a mourning period of sorts in there, too. Having spent 9 years worshiping at the altar of The Great Jessiwah, I would need to adjust to her absence, grieve properly, and allow my life to settle a bit before looking for another canine companion.

And so it came to pass that, about 4 months after we put the Jessie to sleep, I began the search. I visited a couple of local county shelters, moved on to private rescue groups, and finally ended up at Friends of Homeless Animals. Put together a list of potential candidates, and went out to meet some of the furry folk. Was greeted in the office by a volunteer and a young man named Dudley...

Met, walked, and played with several dogs, but Dudley stuck in my heart. A sweet one-year-old German Shepherd / lab / hound (probably blue tick coon hound) mix, he seemed to deal well with leashes, played joyously, and was simply too cute for words. And so I put in an application on him.

One home visit / interview later, I was approved to adopt Dudley. On February 22, 2004, he came home with me... Little did I know he was not housetrained, had issues with men (yay for previous owners who were abusive and neglectful), and a great talent for chewing through leashes...

A week later, his distrust of men was greatly reduced, his demeanor was vastly more confident, and he was no longer relieving himself on my carpet. In that short time, he learned to sit, to enter his crate on command, to display proper running etiquette, to come back around objects like telephone poles and trees, and to not hassle me while I was eating.

This seems to be the beginning of a wonderful relationship :)

The obligatory pictures:

A photo gallery of the mayhem that ensued when 3 pugs came to visit Dudley