Re: 2 ways to load stuff(was Re: writing to frames)

You shouldn't have problems with

        location = URL;         // note: no .href property; you're setting
the location object

If you do, tell me!  You have to be careful that you don't try to set the
location property of the document object.  I think this is okay:

        window.location.href = URL;  // href of object location
                (or)
        window.location = URL;  // href inferred

but this isn't:

        document.location.href;  //href of document property location, a
read-only value

As for your comment:

>Seems to me there ought to be a way to set the href without actually
>triggering a loading of the page...

This is logically incongruent.  Set the href (a physical entity) and you
change the physical page.

-- Gordon