Re: Java w/Cookies

On Fri, 23 Feb 1996 mike_grapevine@4G-GATEWAY.NSWSES.NAVY.MIL wrote:

> I know there has to be a better, more secure way than this to
> propage user authentication information in a CGI application. Has anyone
> developed a better technique than this ?

Yes, use standard Web-server provided authentication. On NCSA-derived
servers, put your cgi-bin scripts in a subdirectory off the main
cgi-bin directory, and put an .htaccess file in that subdirectory. You
can then reference your scripts like this:

<A HREF="/cgi-bin/protected/myscript">Enter the protected area</A>

You can then use the REMOTE_USER environment variable from within your
script to do further discrimination on what the user is allowed and not
allowed to do.

-Richard