using onLoad in FRAMESET

I have a situation in which I'm trying to use the onLoad event within a
<frameset> tag (rather than a <body> tag). The docs say that it is
possible, and indeed it appears to work in most cases, but in my
situation it's not working. Here's waht I'm trying to do:

I have a "main" window which contains a collection of javascript
functions.  From this window, I create other windows and set up a
pointer back to my main window (by creating a property in the child
window called "mainWindow" so that the "child" windows can communicate
with the "parent" (main) window.  In order to make all this work I use
the onLoad attribute in the <body> tag to call a
mainWindow.registerWinow() function back in the main window. This works
like a charm when using the <body> tag. But when I have a document which
is uses <frameset>, the pointer which I've set up when I opened the
window appears to be corrupted, and I get javascript errors indicating
that the window (child) does not know about the mainWindow.register()
function.

I know this might be confusing, but sending the actual javascript would
be even more confusing I think.  Does abybody have any idea if something
about the <frameset> is causing the window to corrupt properties which I
have created in it? Since this works fine when I'm using a document with
the <body> tag but not with the <frameset> tag, I suspect something
about frames is conflicting with the properties which I have created in
the window.

-- Robert

Robert Thuleen
Sr. Software Engineer
Science Applications International Corp (SAIC)
San Diego, Ca

mailto:thuleen@mls.saic.com
http://www.saic.com
http://www.free.cts.com/crash/t/thuleen