Netscape 2.0 bug w. onMouseOver?

I've got a CGI that generates HTML. Among other things, it adds more informative
information to the HREF links via JavaScript's mouseover tags:

<A HREF="index.html" onMouseOver="window.status='Back to home page'; return
true">

However, I notice that this information doesn't register when the page is first
drawn. When I move the move over links, the status area displays the URL. If I
resize the window, the HTML gets redrawn, and now the correct information gets
displayed. Has anyone run into this? Do I need to include something explicit
(other than the onMouseOver code) in the HTML to get Netscape to recognize it
the first time around?

I'm using Netscape 2.0 on a Mac.

Thanks.

Ramon