Javascript and CGI

I realize that JavaScript provides a solid front end for CGI script by allowing
to make a good user inteface with input validation. My question is that
can javascript get the output of the cgi script from the server without CGI
script having to send another html page with its results?
Normally CGI will send back html script with content-type html/text to the
client. But is it possible to avoid sending html stuff and only send required
data that can be proccessed through the client side java script ?

- Nuwan