Frames and forms help.

        I am writing a page with JS and frames, and I have a question about
accessing forms from different frames.  Each frame conatains documents with
some of their own JS <script> and a form.  I am trying to get an onClick()
on one form to copy a value from another form in another frame. like putting
in one script:
                        onClick="parent.total.myform.textbox.value='5'";

where total is a named frame, myform is a named form in it, and textbox is
in that form.  This line is on a form in another named frame. What I always
get back is a "myform has no properties" error. Is there a way to get into
one form's fields from another form/file/script? Or will i have to make
variables to hold the data, and then trigger a function on the other page to
read it in?

                                        Any help appreciated,
                                        Steven Weinberger