More scrolling woes....

I still haven't gotten that darn scrolling to work.

Basically I just want to scroll a page as it comes down the page.  For a
simplified test, I have a frameset with 2 frames, the top frame has a
bunch of hrefs and the bottom frame is a cgi script that SHOULD cause the
top frame to scroll down, but it doesn't.  Please someone tell me I'm
doing something stupid and that there really is a way to accomplish this.

Frames:

<FRAMESET ROWS="160,*">
<FRAME NAME=data SRC="junk.html">
<FRAME NAME=monitor SRC="monitor.cgi">
</FRAMESET>

Here's the content of the "data" frame:

<PRE>

<A NAME="1">
1
<A NAME="2">
2
<A NAME="3">
3
<A NAME="4">
4
<A NAME="5">
5

here's the cgi script "monitor.cgi" that should cause the top frame to
scroll down:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl5

require CgiLib;
ReadParse();

$x = $in{'last'};
$x = $x+10;

print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n";

# Wait for other frame to load the first time
# otherwise netscape crash and burns (win95 2.0b5)
sleep(5);

print <<"EOF";
<HEAD>
</HEAD>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
    window.parent.frames[0].document.location.hash = "$x";
</SCRIPT>

test $x

EOF

Thanks,