Re: digital supermarket

On Thu, 21 Mar 1996 22:22:02 +0100 Silvio wrote:

> A customer of mine asked me to write a kind of "digital
> supermarket" set of pages...
> The customer should be able to browse his goods and to
> choose (with a button) some to put in a virtual bag.
> then he will see them, see the bill, perhaps toggle some
> items from the bag and, always pressing a button,
> send an e-mail with the order.

There are many sights that offer such pages most of them using CGI
scripts. You can do it with JavaScript but you will limit your
customers to one that use Netscape 2.0 or 2.01.

I have a demo on my sight that shows how it is done with JavaScript
and cookies, but I'm not sure this  is your best solution. The URL
is:

http://www.community.net/~jray/

Select the 'Cookies and Banners' link and then the 'Shopping Bag
Demo'. It creates a invoice in the top frame which was done this way
only to show that it is possible, not to show it's the best real
world solution.

Note: Make sure you are using Netscape 2.0b5 or above and JavaScript
is enabled if using 2.01, or the links will not show up.

John