Cookies (how to use them?)

Help!

        How do you use cookies in javascript. I'm still not quite clear on
this. What i want to do is set a cookie when a user comes into my site. And
the next time he comes back, read that coockie and display the proper
information.

        I want to use it so that a user can enter his name and a couple of
settings (preferences) and save them into different cookies that i will
recall whenever the user comes back to my page. I've read the Docs on
Cookies, but there really isn't any practical information that i've found
that relates to using Cookies with Javascript.

        Anybody know of a tutorial or FAQ for setting and recalling cookies
with JavaScript?

thanks.

Christian Lanctot
e-mail: kristian@generation.net