2.01 patch release

As some of you may already know, the Netscape Navigator 2.01 patch
release stuff has begun rolling out.  As of now the downloadable
(export) versions of 2.01 are available at

  ftp://ftp.netscape.com/2.01/

This includes full 2.01 binary releases for the export (40-bit
encryption) versions for Windows (16 and 32-bit), Macintosh, and the
various Unix platforms.

For information on the problems fixed, see the respective release notes:

  http://home.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.01/relnotes/windows-2.01.html
  http://home.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.01/relnotes/mac-2.01.html
  http://home.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.01/relnotes/unix-2.01.html

In particular, note that 2.01 includes the Java applet security manager
patch, so you won't need to download that separately if you're
upgrading from 2.0.

There will also be patch releases available to update to 2.01 the U.S.
(128-bit encryption) versions of 2.0 for Windows (16 and 32-bit) and
Macintosh, for those users who purchased (or otherwise received) those
versions from Netscape or a Netscape reseller/OEM.  (The Macintosh patch
release is there as I write, the Windows patch releases should follow
soon.) There is no patch release for the Unix U.S. versions; a later
announcement (to go up on on the Netscape home page soon) will have
pointers to how users of the U.S. Unix versions can get 2.01.

So, to summarize:

If you previously downloaded 2.0 (export version) for any platform, you
can download a full 2.01 release now.

If you purchased or otherwise received the 2.0 U.S. versions for
Macintosh or Windows, you'll be able to download a patch to update your
2.0 U.S. version to a 2.01 U.S. version.

If you purchased or otherwise received the 2.0 U.S. version for Unix
platforms, there will be information on our home page soon about how to
get a replacement 2.01 U.S. version.

(Incidentally, if you're unsure whether you have the export or U.S.
version, select "About Netscape" from the help menu, and look in the
section with the RSA logo.  The U.S. version will say "This version
supports U.S. security...", while the export version will say "This
version supports international security...".  Every release on our FTP
server(s) is the export version.)

Frank

P.S. I don't speak officially for Netscape, so don't consider this an
official Netscape announcement; that will be on our home page soon.  I
just wanted to make sure you all knew what was going on as soon as
possible, since this has been an active subject of discussion on the
list.

--
Frank Hecker          Pre-sales tech support, Netscape Federal sales
hecker@netscape.com   http://home.netscape.com/people/hecker/