in JS, is there support for: sockets, shell?

Hi all..

I'm working on an application where I simple need a certain command to be run
on the local shell when the user clikcs on the certain item on the page.  I was
hoping I could do this with JavaScript, but there might be security concerns that
won't allow a "shell" or "system" command or anything similar.

So, I was thinking about creating a daemon that would listen for requests (with
proper security of course..) but I can't seem to locate any support for sending
stuff to a port from a JavaScript..

Any ideas or poitners would be appreciated.

-- Eric