Re: Caching and JS - Bug?

Hey ANDY consider this a CLAM DOWN!!! message.  You took this WAY over
board, and I stress way overboard!

>> I just don't quite get what you're implying...  If you've got an
>>example of a page that loads JS code and won't free itself from the
>>Navigator when the user moves on to another page,

I didn't say OR imply anything of the kind, you took yourself there. All
I said was a previous version of a JS (I used the word bad because in my
case it was bad code that spit up when an onMouse over event occured)
repeat: a previous version of a JS WILL stick around in the cache and
will not always be overwritten when you think it would (i.e. you use an
onMouse over event to update a the text in a text box, you change what
the text says then reload your page a presto old text after the same
page has loaded!! a simple example, but it illustrates the point.)

I have tested this so many times.  Our site contains over 100 new
machines and 32 developement machines.... each has had the problem at
one time or another.  It has threatened DEMOS to big wigs, users get
frustrated OR worse they don't know what they are missing, and it makes
us look bad.  GUESS WHAT THOUGH!?!? IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED ON THE ONE
MACHINE YOU WOULD THINK IT WOULD HAVE... MINE! THE MACHINE ALL THE
SCRIPTS WERE WRITTEN ON AND TESTED.   Since JS are part of a web page,
changing a small part of your JS code does not mean NETSCAPE will
automatically load the new version of that page, in fact with a sliggush
connection i have found NS to more often than not defaults to loading
the cached version of a page first, thus your new JS code IS NOT loaded
and problems if any will persist until the user (or yourself) clears the
cache (in sever cases I have even had to manually delete the files in
the cache directory INCLUDING the DB file!!) We have taken to disabling
cache on all user machines! its the only way to reliable performance.
Face it: you don't know exactely what your users are seeing! even if you
log onto to your pages remoteley if you are using the same machine you
developed the pages on you may not see the errors, why? caching.

Don't get me wrong, I love JS and use it everyday, but it does still
have limitations and small probs we need to make each other aware of,
not berate fellow users as you did (what if I just rolled over and said
"oh, I won't reply to that message Andy might scream at me" we may lose
valuable insight by intimidation).

ed