Checking for plugins

I'd like to be able to check for installed plugins with JavaScript without
opening a second window in NetScape as the example code in the JavaScript
Authoring Guide suggests, and without using document.open.

In some cases using document.open, if the user doesn't have the plugin, then
NetScape displays the "ask user" dialog box. I'd like something more
transparent.

I've searched the docs but cannot find any methods that will return the info
I need.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
-Ron-