Closing mulitple windows

Is this thing on...
Has anyone tried opening a new windows and closing the window(s)
behind the new one.  How do I keep a window opened to stay on
top, for example a navigational window.  And I am unable to
position an opened window on the screen; not after it's opened
but opening a window to a predetermined area on the screen.

TIA
Brian