Tooltips with JS?

In many windows applications, holding your mouse pointer over toolbar
buttons brings up a little box that tells you what the button does.  I
believe this is called 'tooltips'.  My questions is, how would one implement
this on a web page with java or javascript?  The "onmouseover" action seems
to be close, but the functionality just isn't there.

Thanks,
Chris cjl@sequent.com